Wednesday 19 January 2011

i·ro·ny1    /ˈaɪrəni, ˈaɪər-/

[ahy-ruh-nee, ahy-er-]
–noun, plural -nies.
1.
the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning.
 
My brain, my literal brain
Trains
Linking, connecting, crossing
Wires of meaning.
Ironic.
 
New stanza.
Pause.
"You look nice today", she said
With a faint smile.
Ironic.
 
New stanza.
Pause.
Is is ironic that this poem is not ironic?
Or is it?
Is it ironic that we ask
This?
 
Oh fleur, des fleurs that are mocking me
With
Pink
Purple
Yellow Snow.
Don't eat
Don't touch
Don't do that
Whatever, man.
The emo has spoken.
 
Like the Dinosaurs
We will one day
Fade
Into Fossils.
 
You.
Who study my bones
Will you understand
Why
I am missing
My Funny Bone?
And in place
I have
A Rod of Iron
-y.
 
Are you laughing?
Stop.
Don't laugh.
Pause.
Just look in the mirror
And tell yourself
"I look nice today"
With a faint smile
On your face.
 
Beginning.

1 comment: